View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aznpersuasion
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Leaking oil from water pump? Reply with quote

So I've been chasing an oil leak for awhile now, tinkering whenever I get a chance. I replaced the shift rod oil seal and shift rod, ran the engine with the sprocket cover off, and the leak persisted. Oil is dripping off the lowest bolt on the water pump. Think this is a case of a bad o-ring inside the case? I didn't see a weep hole, and unless this is constructed differently, wouldn't the weep hole show coolant if the water pump internals failed? Guessing around a drip or two per minute when running. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my FZR had an oil leak 'from the water pump'. It was actually from one of the oil feed lines at the back of the cylinder block (bad copper seal) and the oil tracked down that way. The water pump is one of the lowest points, when the bike is on the side stand, so can be a drip point for leaks from other places (true of a lot of bikes).

Worth checking.
Aznpersuasion
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilninggas wrote:
my FZR had an oil leak 'from the water pump'. It was actually from one of the oil feed lines at the back of the cylinder block (bad copper seal) and the oil tracked down that way. The water pump is one of the lowest points, when the bike is on the side stand, so can be a drip point for leaks from other places (true of a lot of bikes).

Worth checking.

interesting. ill definitely give that a look. thanks!
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Coolant pump Reply with quote

There is a witness hole in the body of the pump, it would normally show coolant as the coolant around the seal is pressurised but the oil is only splash fed to the bearing,
The oil seal is on the body of the pump itself and is very easy to replace after removal of the pump

Aznpersuasion
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant pump Reply with quote

creedxup wrote:
There is a witness hole in the body of the pump, it would normally show coolant as the coolant around the seal is pressurised but the oil is only splash fed to the bearing,
The oil seal is on the body of the pump itself and is very easy to replace after removal of the pump

before i go ripping into this and dealing with coolant drain, change and burp, do you think this would be the likely culprit?
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Oil leak Reply with quote

If it was me Id be giving the whole area a thorough clean to ascertain where the oil is coming from before I took anything else apart.
Aznpersuasion
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak Reply with quote

creedxup wrote:
If it was me Id be giving the whole area a thorough clean to ascertain where the oil is coming from before I took anything else apart.

copy. ill keep giving it a look over.
Aznpersuasion
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

took a look around the engine and didnt see any signs of dripping. the dripping is still present even with the engine off.
Aznpersuasion
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i took the pump out, everything looked ok. replaced all the orings and housing seal. didnt leak a drop of oil or coolant while sitting there statically. turned it on to burp the coolant and started leaking oil. im guessing it has failed internally allowing oil to pass through to the weep hole. currently have a "known good" water pump on the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Workshop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: