Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Meets & Rideouts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuggitt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: A ride to Richmond and beyond. Reply with quote

Setting off from where I live which is Feckemhall in East Yorkshire at 10am yesterday morning. I thought I’d take myself off to Richmond in North Yorkshire. I headed for Malton first then on to Thirsk on the B1363 scenic route, which goes through Ampleforth, Wass, Byland Abbey, Turning right in Coxwold to Thirkleby then on to the A19 Thirsk road

After having a pit stop in Thirsk at my favourite sandwich shop. I noticed that the Thirsk Knitting group had been busy again celebrating the 100 years of the RAF.

I took a different route to Richmond by heading for Northallerton on the B1448 / A168. Passing through Northallerton. I headed for Yafforth on the B6271 to Great Langton, Kiplin, Ellerton, Bolton on Swale, Scorton then turning left for Brompton on Swale then on to Richmond. I needed another pit stop because it was getting rather hot in my leathers so I sat in the shade for half an hour watching the world go by.

Moving on from Richmond I headed for Reeth on the A6108 taking a left then a right to the Manor Café at Bellerby. I bumped into one of my old mates there. (Another Michael) I new the cafe had changed hands recently and the lads my friend was with asked me if I was going to order anything to eat or drink? I asked why and he told me to have a guess at the price of what he’d paid for his order, which was a can of diet coke and a small (very small) piece of cake. I said £1.20. After loads of laughter and he told me £4. They can knob off then I said. (That’s the trouble with me being a tight arsed Yorkshire man)

Moving on from Bellerby and passing through Leyburn still on the A6108 to Middleham, East Witton, High Ellington, Masham, Low Burton, West Tanfield, North Stainley, North Lees then Ripon where another stop was needed. Got talking to a couple on holiday from Glasgow who had come in the car to Ripon and they said I bet you’re hot in those leathers. I said have you heard of a boil in the bag roast dinner? Well I’m well and truly cooked. They then went on to tell me that the gauge on the car dashboard of the outside temperature was showing 25c. From that point I decided that anything above 21c is far too much for motorcycle leathers. (One piece anyway)

After leaving Ripon on the B6265 to Kirby Hill then on to the old Roman town of Boroughbridge and Aldborough, then on to Marton cum Grafton, Green Hammerton then on to the York road. I skirted by York on the A1237 and A64, and made a dash to the Seaways café which is on my way home on the A166. By this time it was starting to feel a bit cooler. It’s always cooler at Fridaythorpe even in the heat of summer, with it being the highest point in the York’s Wolds. I eventually got home at 5.30pm and covered 177 miles. Got the missus to pull my leathers off because they were stuck to me and then had a cold shower.

I’m writing this out on the Friday the day after, and today would’ve been a better day as it feels a lot fresher out there with a nice breeze. 25 degrees in full leathers is not recommended.

I took a few photos but they dried up when I realised it was better to keep moving than stopping in the full sun trying to take photos and then trying to get your sweaty hands back in your gloves.

Some photos....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Meets & Rideouts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: